Comentario

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Latest Dinner Hit


Last night I made Chicken Achiote with Tangerine Sauce to great acclaim from kids and my wife alike. I found the recipe at epicurious.com and modified it slightly by using just a bit more tangerine juice than called for (I used 3 large tangerines for the zest and juice) and by using my trusty cast iron skillet instead of a nonstick pan.
My friend and fellow cooking enthusiast Matt was caught not long ago with a dreamy look in his eye. "What are you thinking about" his wife asked. "My pan [meaning his cast iron skillet]." "It loves you too." was his wife's reply. Well, we've adopted that phrase in our household as well. As I was pulling out my pan and caressingly applying olive oil I heard my wife behind me say "it loves you too." And as proof of that love, we had a delicious chicken achiote with a superb caramelized tangerine sauce with a complicated flavor. Next time I make this, though, I will add large slices of onion and serve it with rice + cilantro + veggie (I'm thinking carrots, though squash would be good too).

3 Comments:

  • Oh yes, sounds marvelous. Would you choose a big, bold onion, which might provide contrast, or more of a vidalia with its sweet complimentary flavor? I'd favor a sweet onion with the tangerines, I think.

    By Blogger matt dick, at 5/15/2006 1:30 PM  

  • I was thinking of a sweeter type onion, and since we get some truly spectacular Walla Walla onions around here I will try it with those next.
    We actually have some of the Walla Walla onions planted in our garden and they are starting to come up! I am excited to see how well I can do as a grower/chef as opposed to a purchaser/chef. There is a super gourmet restaurant in the area, The Herb Farm that serves mostly stuff that they grow. The idea is quite appealing to me.

    By Blogger Carlos, at 5/15/2006 9:23 PM  

  • That's partly why I'm so intrigued with the "farm share" idea.

    By Blogger Matt Dick, at 5/16/2006 9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home