Comentario

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Curandero, curate


Sick today, so trying to boost myself with a classic family remedy: chamomile tea. My abuelita used to give this to me whenever I had a stomach bug. Would you believe that was a common occurence in Mexico? Well, there are some studies showing that there are significant anti-inflammatory effects of tea, and there was even one study supporting its use for infantile colic. I sometimes recommend camomile tea for colicky infants, though always with the caution to use small amounts (1-2 oz per day) to avoid water intoxication.
At any rate chamomile tea is a good way to try staying hydrated while I let my body do its healing thing. And of course there is always the placebo effect, which is perhaps stronger for me due to fond memories of my grandmother's TLC.
Let's hear it for a natural monocyclic sesquiterpene alcohol!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home