Comentario

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

TECHNOLOGY WOES

My PDA died about a week ago. I used to think that PDAs were going to be such an indispensible part of life that the whole "peripheral brain" moniker was actually justified. Now, however, I feel that they are still too bulky, the interface still needs a lot of work, and, as I've just learned, they still have unfortunate failures. I suppose that I could have backed up my important information by sync'ing to my laptop, thus preventing the total loss of some of my data. The last time I backed up was almost 2 years ago, though, mostly because since then I've upgraded my OS and the activation energy needed to perform a sync became too great. Which brings me to another technology woe - my laptop (and only computer) is now 5 years old. Though it still runs all of my working apps tolerably, I've probably installed 1 or 2 OS versions beyond what the hardware can comfortably support. There are very significant slow-downs, and I find myself jonesing for the new intel Mac laptops. First, though, I'll need to find a way to recover my lost password database and find a new way to store and easily access all my various login info.

4 Comments:

  • I would say that for the first time in about ten years I am, right now, adequately backed up in all the data that matters. It's a wonderful feeling.

    PDAs for me, will be indispensible only when the interface can store data as fast as I can type at a keyboard. Until then, it's no better than my laptop.

    By Blogger Matt Dick, at 2/02/2006 8:52 PM  

  • You should get a blackberry. Not because you need one, but because I want one but I want you to go through the learning curve for me.

    By Blogger shadowfax, at 2/07/2006 11:08 PM  

  • Hmm... A Crackberry certainly has some appeal. It would certainly be nice not to carry around a phone and a PDA.
    What I really, really want is a device that beams the display information straight into my retinas, pumps sound directly to my cochlea, and every now and then leaves me with a nice hoppy IPA aftertaste.

    By Blogger Carlos, at 2/08/2006 10:52 PM  

  • I have never bought a "computer" in my life. I have spent an oddly small amount of money on electronics over the years. The exception, I bought a Palm Pilot IIIxe. $350 or something like that. Surprise, surprise, deviating from my norm was a big mistake. It sits in my drawer at work, which it has done for most of its life.

    The backup issue is what killed it for me. I assume this is different now, but Palms from those days, if the battery died, LOST ALL THE INFO. AAAAhhhh! After a few of those, I put it in the drawer.

    By Blogger Josh Gentry, at 2/15/2006 9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home